Second screen continues to explode as a segment of the digital living room. While the 2012 Summer Olympics certainly stole the show by becoming the "first Social Olympics" in every aspect, there has been much progress across the board to keep everyone's enthusiasm in the space buoyant:
- There were 85 million social media comments during the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- 18 million "Viggle Live" questions were answered during the Olympics
- While the iPad market share of tablets has dropped to a "mere" 65%, it is estimated that 91% of the tablet-based web traffic comes from the iPad--giving a strong indication of where the interactivity from consumers lies.
- The summer season final episode of Pretty Little Liars become the most social TV episode ever with 1.6 million episode related tweets, beating American Idol's May, 2012 record
- GetGlue surpassed 3 million users and Viggle surpassed 1 million users
- 70%+ (depending on whose data you believe) of tablet owners use a 2nd screen while watching TV...astonishing!
I would expect more and more progress to be evidenced by the numbers when the fall TV and sports season gets truly underway.
See you @ the 2nd Screen Society Summit on Saturday @ IBC.
ps you can find most of the source data for the numbers above on my Pinterest